Gratis access is offered to the National Plant Protection Organizations (NPPOs) of lower and middle income countries. Please contact PRA@cabi.org for further details.
The CPC is widely used by pest risk assessors around the world. The extensive global pest coverage and detailed and authoritative pest datasheets are a useful source of information for conducting Pest Risk Analysis (PRA). The CPC has more than 3,800 datasheets on crop pests written by experts and containing detailed information on distribution, hosts, biology, phytosanitary risk, impact and management. The ability to generate pest lists by commodity and by country is a useful starting point for PRA. CABI’s new PRA Tool is designed to make the job of conducting PRAs easier and more efficient.
What is Pest Risk Analysis?
Pest Risk Analysis is the process of evaluating biological or other scientific and economic evidence to determine whether an organism is a pest, whether it should be regulated, and the strength of any phytosanitary measures to be taken against it [FAO (2017) Glossary of Phytosanitary Terms].
What is the Pest Risk Analysis (PRA) Tool?
The PRA Tool supports decision making by presenting key scientific information, from the Crop Protection Compendium (CPC), in a way that helps you decide which is the most appropriate action to reduce the risk of damaging plant pests being introduced and make sure plants and plant products are transported safely between countries.
Pest Risk Analysis decision support project summary
- A framework in which risks associated with the importation of plant commodities and the introduction of pests into new areas can be identified and assessed
- PRA initiation ‘By Pathway’ or ‘By Pest’
- Generation and categorization of pest lists associated with a commodity pathway
- Facilities for users to add new information and overrule existing Compendium data
- Links to relevant Crop Protection Compendium datasheets
- A template to complete risk assessments for individual pests
- A template to assign management measures to each pest identified as a risk
- An editable output of all data and content added to a PRA session
- The addition of a new feature for PRA of an individual pest.
- Improved navigation through the risk assessment and risk management of individual pests in a pathway PRA
- The ability to add pests into the pathway PRA
- The addition of a new section for references which is included in the PRA report
To subscribe to the CPC with the PRA Tool or to add the PRA Tool to your existing CPC subscription, please contact email@example.com.
The PRA tool is designed for risk assessors and risk managers working in National Plant Protection Organisations (NPPOs). The PRA tool could also be useful in training/education.
How can CABI’s PRA tool support risk analysts with their role?
CABI’s tool provides guidance on the PRA process in the form of a template that is closely aligned to international standards, and easy access to the detailed and comprehensive pest information available in the CPC. The process deals with areas of uncertainty and unknown information, and can incorporate data from other sources. PRAs stored in the tool can be modified. The tool is designed to be used online with options to download pest datasheets and the PRA report at any stage.